Saturday, May 16, 2009

My closet has changed

In the past couple weeks, summer has arrived here in Arizona. I've been working on completing my summer wardrobe - this body has changed so much over the past 5 years and what fit last summer is now too big and just plain worn. The year before that I was pregnant with Joshua, the year before that I was working so those clothes are too dressy, and the year before that I was pregnant with Zachary. And my first clothes I bought for the Arizona summer when we moved here in 2004 are a size too small -- and too worn out.
Here in Phoenix it's too hot to wear even light pants. So for me it's a uniform bermuda shorts and the dreaded "mom capris" and flip flops, sandals if I want to "dress it up" ha ha. I used to be a Banana Republic girl, now I am finding that J. Crew is more my style for the t-shirts, polos, flip flops, and shorts I am wearing these days. I have a cute jean skirt that I need to iron, but I do worry about showing my legs. Not only are they ghostly white, I now have nature's tattoos of varicose and spider veins.
Clothes for me now are also more utilitarian than in the past. I used to visit the dry cleaner quite regularly and not wear the same thing 2 weeks in a row. Sometimes when I got home from work I would just hang up my shirt or pants because they weren't dirty from sitting at the computer all day. Now I get sticky fingers and snotty noses wiped on me, as well as spilled, thrown up, bled and peed on. I've noticed that the addition of Joshua has more than doubled our laundry because I have to wash my clothes more, which means my clothes get more wear and tear and wear out faster.
So yesterday I made a trip to Kohl's with the boys. I was able to try on a few things and came out with 2 new tops, a set of rammekins (creme brulee perhaps?), and 2 new bras, which were desperately needed. If the rest of my body has changed -- my breasts are the shifting sands of the Sahara! Luckily I had already found the correct size and a brand that fit well so I was able to just purchase the bras without trying them on. At one point Zachary had a bra on his head. I used to love shopping, I still do by myself, but sometimes now it's more of a necessary chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment